District Heating NetworkA state of the art "Demonstration Biomass Heating Module"
The biomass demonstration project for the "Centre in the Park" district heating energy system uses agriculture residues (such as oat hulls) as well as wood waste (from the commercial and construction and demolition sector) as a base-load fuel source. The system uses natural gas during peak seasons and as a back up fuel source.
The mobile fuel storage solution allows processing and filling of the fuel bins off-site, which significantly reduces noise emissions from the operation.
Vanderwell Contracors Sawmill
Combined Heat & Power Plant, Slave LakeA 3.6 MWel Combined Heat & Power Plant - First its kind in Alberta
Vanderwell is currently building a modern biomass fired power plant, in order to improve the general economics, as well as the carbon-footprint of its operation by introducing this alternative energy solution for the high and growing energy requirements, as well as an efficient and lucrative alternative to manage low end residual wood wastes. The system will burn bark residues with a high moisture content of up to 70%.
The technical design of the power plant incorporates an extraction turbine, which allows power production with variable heat outputs. It enables a variable extraction of steam at an intermediate pressure and temperature level for heat/steam utilization.
Our assessment had included the economic outlook of adding a drying kiln conversion component to the ongoing project. Read more
Harry Welling and the team of H&W Biogenics Ltd. have also been in charge of the feasibility assessment and/or project development for a number of additional public and private projects, such as:
• The Federal Shelterbelt Center/ Indian Head, SK
• Alberta Wood Energy Demonstration/Camrose, AB
• Recreation Center Conversion/Drayton Valley, AB
• County Office Complex Conversion/Camrose, AB
• “Carena” Recreation Center Conversion, Town of Viking, AB
• Combined Heat and Power plus DHS, Slate Falls First Nation, ON
• Combined Heat and Power plus DHS, Cat Lake First Nation, ON
• DHS Goldeye Centre, Nordegg, AB
• Strathcona County Energy Centre – Biomass Module
We are also developing numerous commercial and industrial bio-energy conversion projects in the Sawmill-, Greenhouse-, Homebuilding-, Furniture Manufacturingand Food Processing Industries.
Recently, Harry Welling and the Biogenics Team are further engaged in:
• The development of a number of industrial and public building conversions and Kiln Drying Systems in Alberta and British Columbia
• The industrial District Heating Plant in the City of Dryden, ON
• Residential District Heating Systems in Slate Falls and Cat Lake First Nations
• The Biomass Energy Infrastructure Development in Inuvik, NWT.
• Slave Lake, AB, Sawmill Heat and Power CHP
• La Crete, AB, Sawmill Heat and Power CHP
• Gitanyow First Nations, BC Heat and Power CHP